A Closer Look at Appellations :
This coffee Moka Sidama Tabe is a Terroir Coffee
|A Label Coffee: a superior-quality coffee that corresponds to a certain coffee-growing region|
|A Terroir Coffee: high-quality coffee, renowned for the distinctiveness of its soil|
|A Microlot: a terroir coffee grown on a specific plot known for its exceptional quality and specific preparation|
Find out more about the different appellations of specialty coffee on our blog.
This coffee offers a floral first impression in the mouth with honeyed notes. You will enjoy its mellow body and its sweetness thanks to its notes of chocolate. This cup is balanced with a smooth texture, very different from other Ethiopian coffees.
About the Farm:Tadesse Edema, who manages Barkume Coffee Export, is based in Addis Ababa, and his brother, Dembelash Edema, takes care of the collection station on site at Tabe Burka. This coffee washing and drying station is located near the town of Suke Waraqata, in the Guji appellation.
The coffee is collected from peasants working on land located within a radius of 10 to 20 km from the station. Coffee is produced in orchards, in polyculture systems which allow farmers to mix food crops and coffee trees on their plots. The enset (false banana trees) occupies an important place in these agrarian systems. This tree whose root, pounded, is the basis of the diet of this region, has important nutritional qualities. The enset also has the distinction of retaining water in its trunk for many months. Its presence in the middle of coffee trees provides constant humidity to the entire plot and promotes the resistance of trees to drier periods.
The medium+ roast is halfway between Cafés Lugat's dark roast and medium roast. A darker roast allows for more body and consistency, to the detriment of the specificities of the coffee's terroir. However, a medium roast offers a more lively cup with a more pronounced terroir coupled with a slight acidity.
The point of this particular roast is to reveal the sweetness of the coffee and to find the perfect balance in cup. A medium+ roast is recommended with espressos in order to enjoy an aromatic coffee, accessible to all.
The medium+ roast is the perfect gateway to the world of specialty coffee for espresso amateurs who want to experience the specificity and the quality of terroir coffees.
Ethiopian coffees are known as Moka coffees , as they used to be exported from the port of Mocha in Yemen. There are various types of Moka. With 400,000 hectares of coffee-growing land, coffee is a keystone of the Ethiopian economy, especially in terms of currencies. The country is the 5th largest producer and 10th biggest exporter in the world. 60% of its coffee production, or 172,000 tonnes, is exported every year.
The coffea plants are grown: in natural shade in forests (15%), in semi-forest areas (35%), alongside other crops (35%) and on intensive-style farms (15%). 80% of the coffee grown in Ethiopia is known as "natural" coffee , as it is dry-processed , while the remaining 20% is "washed" or wet-processed coffee.
Practically none of the country's coffee farmers use chemical products on their crops. Ethiopian coffee could therefore be recognised as organic, but the certification has not been put into place, presumably because it would be too expensive for the country.
Cafés Lugat boasts a team of enthusiastic young coffee roasters who select exceptional coffees and create irresistible recipes just for you. Through their range of coffee beans, ground coffees and Nespresso® compatible capsules, their mission is to bring you the unique flavour and aromas from the world's best coffee-producing areas!
Their passion for coffee has even won them awards. Marco, the brand's head roaster, was awarded the French Barista Championship title at the 2017 French Championships.
- n°33 in Coffee > Coffee Beans
- n°15 in Coffee > Specialty Coffee Beans
- Most selling items in Cafés Lugat
- Ethiopian Moka Coffee
- Arabica Coffee
- French Coffee
- Costa Rican Coffee