A closer look at appellations:
This Moka Sidamo Marabou coffee is a terroir coffee.
|A label coffee: a superior-quality coffee that corresponds to a certain coffee-growing region|
|A terroir coffee: high-quality coffee, renowned for the distinctiveness of its terroir|
A micro-lot: a terroir coffee grown on a specific plot known for its exceptional quality
or specific kind of preparation
- Its citrus notes (predominantly lemon)
- Its fruity attack
- Its subtle finish
*The coffee scout (Cafés Lugat)
Other production characteristics:
Harvest period: December to March
Find out about the different processing methods on our blog.
The history of Cafés Lugat:
Lionel Lugat is the legendary roaster at MaxiCoffee. Over the years, he has surrounded himself with an expert team of roasters.
This coffee specialist, judge in the French Coffee Championships and expert columnist for our coffee company tells the story of Cafés Lugat and his passion for coffee roasting below.
The Sidamo region is located in the south of Ethiopia, at the border with Kenya. Its name comes from the Sidama, an ethic group native to the south-central part of Ethiopia. The south of the country is an ideal location for coffee growing.
The coffee grows in the shade, under trees in the forest. It is manually harvested and selected then washed in water, which gives the coffee the optimal level of acidity.
Moka Sidamo represents 11% of the coffee produced in the area. The washed aspect of this coffee makes it highly sought-after.
Ethiopia, the home of coffee, only grows the Arabica variety, at altitudes of between 1,500 and 2,300 metres above sea level.
The higher the coffee is grown on the country's plateaus, the better the organoleptic qualities of the roasted bean, especially when it comes to its intensity.
Ethiopian coffees are known as Moka coffees, as they used to be exported from the port of Mocha in Yemen. There are various types of Moka.
With 400,000 hectares of coffee-growing land, coffee is a keystone of the Ethiopian economy, especially in terms of currencies.
The country is the 5th largest producer and 10th biggest exporter in the world. 60% of its coffee production, or 172,000 tonnes, is exported every year.
The coffea plants are grown: in natural shade in forests (15%), in semi-forest areas (35%), alongside other crops (35%) and on intensive-style farms (15%).
80% of the coffee grown in Ethiopia is known as "natural" coffee, as it is dry-processed, while the remaining 20% is "washed" or wet-processed coffee.
Practically none of the country's coffee farmers use chemical products on their crops. Ethiopian coffee could therefore be recognised as organic, but the certification has not been put into place, presumably because it would be too expensive for the country.
Cafés Lugat boasts a team of enthusiastic young coffee roasters who select exceptional coffees and create irresistible recipes just for you. Through their range of coffee beans, ground coffees and Nespresso® compatible capsules, their mission is to bring you the unique flavour and aromas from the world's best coffee-producing areas!
Their passion for coffee has even won them awards. Marco, the brand's head roaster, was awarded the French Barista Championship title at the 2017 French Championships.
- n°6 in Coffee > Coffee beans
- n°3 in Coffee > Specialty coffee
- Most selling items in Cafés Lugat
- Ethiopian Moka Coffee
- Arabica Coffee
- French Coffee